Wednesday, February 12, 2014

#7 Handwritten Notes are always best

This is the birthday card Kaylee made for her brother:


It says,

From: Kaylee
To: Christopher
My BFF's told me cungrajulashuns to you Christopher.
I love you mor thin you think I hope youLL Love being 5 happy birthday.

Kaylee spent her Center Time, at school, making this card for her brother. When she could have been doing anything else...playing with friends, building with blocks, using the teacher's "special art supplies" to make a creation of her very own...she carefully chose a clean sheet of blue construction paper (Christopher's favorite color), and hand-crafted a colorful, birthday card for him. I especially love the mention of her friends in the birthday note. Kaylee not only took the time to make sure SHE made Christopher feel special, but even shared the news of Christopher's special day with her friends, including a message from them in her masterpiece.

And oh, the hearts! Lots and Lots of hearts! In our family, we have a saying:

 Hearts Mean I Love You.

There's lots of loving in this card, from the heart-shaped balloon on the front, to the multi-colored heart border framing Christopher's initial, to the special, orange heart on the back. Almost as if she's saying, "In case you forgot, I love you."

My favorite part of all was the excitement Kaylee displayed when she gave her card to Christopher. She was so proud of her work, that she read the entire thing to him, as he smiled, laughed, and blushed, along. After Christopher's response, "Thank you, Kakey," and him handing his card over to me to "keep this safe, for me, Mommy,"  Kaylee happily skipped off with her brother, proclaiming all the fun they would be having at his birthday celebration.

I think my children get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment